seem as the author is pathetic. Neither is really intended in this
posting. What is intended is an open and honest expression of desire
among some like minds, and even unlike minds. It is meant as a symbol
and tool of clarity.

The above paragraph noted, I'll begin lobbing a salvo now. From
experience of playing The Mana World on this and most of the other
servers, conclusive opinions are forged. An overriding conclusion is
there are many whom play up the players, yet remain stalwarts in
achieving little to nothing in means of improving the game.

I shall not list names as the parties attendant in this cabal are to
numerous and varied, also prefer to not directly call any one person
into a hot seat.

This is not a vengeful post nor vindictive one. That means I am not
aiming upon any hard and fast targets. In summary, people here who
seem to be the head/s suck, because they play the game up but won't
improve on it.

They say they're making the game anew, better. And
then, players are left to wait and wait. If a player speaks up
regarding this a standard party line is brought to bear.

"This is a free game ran by volunteers. This means it's a game of, by,
for the players. If you want better then do it yourself."

I can fully understand and appreciate this up to a point. When it
becomes clear after six to eight years the game is not progressing,
the party line remains intact, well then it's time to espouse a roar.
I am not here as a developer, save for possibly offering written
stories for someone to code up as a quest in game. I'm not here to do
the coding, run the server/s, create the web pages. I am here to
relax, play and enjoy a game that is offered freely

A game for me is like a book, an escape from reality of drudgery. To
learn proper coding and language used for each server of the game, to
sort out issues of resources and so on, would only be reality
invading. The game would stop being fun. It would become work, it
would consume. I am not here for that. If that was my desire in coming
here, I'd go create my own game making company, my own games.

Then, conversely the game becomes reality in as much as stagnation
sets in. There's no progress and likely won't be. Granted, i also
understand and appreciate a lot of the head/s running things seem
younger than twenty. They have problems, lives. They should also
think, though. If they choose to 'step-up', then, they ought to walk
the walk, even if it's a distraction done freely.

If these younger folks are passionate about learning to make games,
then, express that in improving the games. I do not because I
understand being a person whom allows himself to be fully consumed and
spent by his passions. Again, not what I'm here to do. I can offer
some nifty written words, nice stories to read, maybe somebody can
code them up? Then we can play. So far, I have posted a few ideas.

Still in that waiting room called limbo.

Pihro
Site Admin

Re: Limbo (Possible rant)

Post by Pihro » Mon May 13, 2013 2:54 pm

BenB, I understand this and I realize some of it is probably referring to me. The project has seemed to be in limbo, I understand and agree with this. I dislike it as much as anyone else. Pyn has some quests and maps coming, I have some unfinished work and the such. Progress will come, that is not something to worry about, just the time of the progress continues to stretch. Some of this is me, but I work when I can, and when I work I do my best, and the effort I put into things means it may take longer, but there will be less issues with the final product. The progress seems to have stopped, but I have taken an amount of work upon myself that I have to take smaller steps to avoid being overwhelmed. Summer has started, I am out of school. The most progress we've ever had is last August when we first started this server, I had no school and ~unlimited time. I am about back into that, giving me much more time to code, and think, and finish what I started. Like I've mentioned earlier, the project is seeming to be very slow, but hey, I've started on this and that's the hardest part. Now, this summer (hopefully this month) I can finish what I started and promised.

BenB

Post by BenB » Mon May 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Pihro wrote:BenB, I understand this and I realize some of it is probably referring to me. The project has seemed to be in limbo, I understand and agree with this. I dislike it as much as anyone else. Pyn has some quests and maps coming, I have some unfinished work and the such. Progress will come, that is not something to worry about, just the time of the progress continues to stretch. Some of this is me, but I work when I can, and when I work I do my best, and the effort I put into things means it may take longer, but there will be less issues with the final product. The progress seems to have stopped, but I have taken an amount of work upon myself that I have to take smaller steps to avoid being overwhelmed. Summer has started, I am out of school. The most progress we've ever had is last August when we first started this server, I had no school and ~unlimited time. I am about back into that, giving me much more time to code, and think, and finish what I started. Like I've mentioned earlier, the project is seeming to be very slow, but hey, I've started on this and that's the hardest part. Now, this summer (hopefully this month) I can finish what I started and promised.
You may seem an easy target. Allow my assurance though, it was not all directed at you. In case it was not patently clear,
I have no desire to hold anyone's feet to the fire. Yeah I'm frustrated everything has gone along at a crawl. Further frustrating is the sentiment over the past six to eight years. "Want something more, do it yourself."

Not everyone is quite up to being ready to forge a 'hobby' into anything more serious than little crufted together bash scripts, cron jobs, minor league c programs that serve as amusements. "Ha! Look at that, I made a zenty dialog box for wc which also uses par and nroff on man pages and output them to pdf! I am such a mad, mad, mad hatter, ha ha ha." And yeah it's cribbed together from various other sources, bit here, bobble there and presto I think I'm doing magic. :)

I have never taken any formal computing classes. What C I involve myself with is exercises from Dan Godkin's C for Dummies All in One Desk reference, if I can manage keeping on task. ---> Sorry, I take that back as misspeaking. I had a class at age 13, it lasted 3 weeks with an older gentleman as an instructor. He at the time was excited about something called DARPA Net. He let us use crummy old Apple II E series boxes, with the built-on matrix green on black monitors. Taught us what was called General Basic at the time. I did some studying and learned about modems. He granted me permission to make a project. I had a Basic program dial up a DARPA Net node, with his supervision. i put their servers down for about 15 minutes, gracefully rebooted them. It's in the azt codes really, a protocol most modems use, not sure if routers do now or not.

Pyro

Post by Pyro » Tue May 14, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm sure my map fix for Nivalis could be added if you guys are really itching for something to be done, but it would have to be accepted to the github repo first. Also I'm noticing you are making references to TMW. We are LoF. Anything that has been said will only go back about a year since our first project anniversary doesn't happen until this June. I understand your statement about the separation of work and play though. I agree with it too. I do not play the game much for that very reason. I'm sure there are some updates that we can push that are non-essential to major changes.

Edit: Also I think this thread is better suited for the feedback thread if a mod could move it there, that would be nice.

pyndragon

Post by pyndragon » Wed May 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Excellent points. As Pyro mentioned, things could be done quickly by persons with repo access. For example, increasing the Terranite Ore drop rate only requires changing one number; adding drops like a Pile of Ash at 30% to the Fire Lizard would take only a bit longer; and so on with adding the Grimace of Dementia to one of the existing Hurnscald stores.
~ Previous LoF Developer ~

Pihro
Site Admin

Post by Pihro » Fri May 17, 2013 2:51 pm

pyndragon wrote:Excellent points. As Pyro mentioned, things could be done quickly by persons with repo access. For example, increasing the Terranite Ore drop rate only requires changing one number; adding drops like a Pile of Ash at 30% to the Fire Lizard would take only a bit longer; and so on with adding the Grimace of Dementia to one of the existing Hurnscald stores.
I did all of that today :) Hope everyone enjoys! I am working on stuff irl as well as ongame, but I am devving again, hopefully I can pull us out of this Limbo. Also, Pyn should have Heroes Hold coming along, but he may be busy IRL but we'll see what happens, once his place is done, we can work on prestige for higher lvl players as well as more maps to do limitless other things with!

pyndragon

Post by pyndragon » Fri May 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Hurrah! I have done a great deal of work on Heroes' Hold that I have not shared (including the Savior Shield that some-one requested), but this past week I've focused more energy on getting LoFBot ready for prime-time. I'll be back at work soon, and one NPC is done.
~ Previous LoF Developer ~

Saint Tropez

Post by Saint Tropez » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:31 pm

thank you for all these change.
when the savior shield ingame??

Its cool to add things in the game but ...there is existing things in some script and we dont see them in the game.

I saw the Golden lightplate in the Nahrec script, why we can have it?
(im not talking about the warlord golden plate used to do the savior armor)
https://github.com/Pihro/lof-eathena-da ... nahrec.txt

there is a possibility to reset the Rossy quest once we have done it, why there is no npc to propose it?
https://github.com/Pihro/lof-eathena-da ... /reset.txt

The same for this (KrickKrackKrock.txt+rockscissor.txt) :
https://github.com/Pihro/lof-eathena-da ... /npc/020-1

and this :
https://github.com/Pihro/lof-eathena-da ... sfight.txt
Im not sure that im interested by this quest but there already is some quest in the game...why they dont work??

The same for the silvered helmet.
From the moment nicolas the blacksmith give the silvered helmet (crusade helmet.639 - its the normal crusade helmet) instead the unsilvered crusade helmet (item 8017) there is no possibility for the silversmith to do his job...its solved...the quest have disappear. =/

Is there a possibility to add the latest mapp from the main server (troll mapp+pirate mapp, i dont care about the castle there is no quest and leveling in :lol: )

I understand there is a lot of change and that make some hard job in more, coz they have change the code (Oo idk what is it) and some sprite (idk what is that).
In fact idk how all of this work =p but ok to add some new quest and some new items but what about those who already existing in the script?

The same for the spell #flarfol, its works on the server atm, why we cant have it?

do not be hurry in conclusion, some have their own stuff to do and missing time to do the new add, im just talking about what is already existing...

EDIT 06-10-14

there was also a quest to get the Face mask :o, this quest doesnt exist anymore...why??
http://landoffire.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7
...perhaps that was just an idea...and never be ingame :geek: